Reiki is comprised of two Japanese words, Rei and Ki. Rei is loosely translated as a higher power or a greater being. Ki is loosely translated as the power that flows through us all. This power, or energy if you will, is what is at the center of Reiki. Ki, as a measure of energy, is what energizes us. When our Ki is in balance, we feel secure, confident, ready to take on the world and forge forward with confidence. Reiki is used to help the body heal itself.
Reiki Healing is typically the focus of a Reiki Session or, sometimes called, a Reiki Treatment. The practitioner seeks to increase the patients Ki and balance it throughout the body. The flow of energy is directed via the practitioner’s hands using light touches on the neck, front and back of the torso and the head. The entire session is performed fully clothed in a quiet environment that promotes peace and well-being.
A Reiki Session is often thought of as comforting and clarifying. Akin to a deep state of meditation or prayer that is guided by a professional in a conducive environment. Much like meditation, the benefits are cumulative over time and, as the sessions continue, a sustained state of relaxation and resistance to the tides of stress can be achieved.
The Benefits of Reiki
The benefits of cumulative Reiki Sessions are far reaching and numerous. Believed to be beneficial to just about any aspect of life, from mental clarity or stress reduction to emotional well-being or even physical health. Mind, body, and spirit all benefit from Reiki Sessions.
- It is possible to use Reiki as a means to treat more immediate issues such as mental or physical illness. Reiki can even be used as a preventative measure to prevent such ailments from occurring in the first place.
- Reiki techniques are potent tools for speeding up recovery from surgery and mitigating the side-effects caused by medications.
- Reiki is entirely capable of treating pain caused by physical ailments such as migraines, sciatica, or even arthritis. In addition, Reiki can also provide relief for insomnia, asthma, and much more.
- During times of significant emotional distress or grieving, Reiki can offer clarity and perspective that aids in balancing one’s thoughts and moods.
- Reiki is an invaluable tool for bringing about inner peace and spiritual harmony and is often used as a technique for spiritual growth.
- Perhaps one of Reiki’s greatest benefits is its fantastic ability to provide stress reduction and intense relaxation. Such states offer incredible opportunities for emotional and physical healing.
During the Reiki Session
There are a number of things to do and consider before your first Reiki session. The very first thing to do, however, is universal. Find a credible practitioner who you are comfortable with. As a spiritual and psychological experience, it’s incredibly important to have a good rapport with you practitioner. Their personality and the environment they provide should both inspire the patient to be calm and thoughtful.
Often the practitioner will discuss how the session will proceed. This is an opportune time for questions should you have any. A patient’s comfort during the session is incredibly important so as to make sure the focus is on the healing.
Of course, it’s always best to discuss your needs with your Reiki Practitioner. Let them know of any ailments you have including points of physical pain, surgery, scars, or even any physical limitations you might be concerned with. Ultimately a Reiki Session is about healing and your mental and spiritual well-being.